Sweet Potato & Coconut Brownies with a Chocolate Date Caramel Frosting.
Sounds good right?
The latest of my vegetable based bakes is probably my favourite. Don’t get me wrong, my chickpea blondies and my butternut squash pancakes were nice, but there’s something special about eating a chocolatey cake without it being too bad for you!
The chocolate date caramel frosting takes this bake to a whole new level. The sweet ‘caramelly’ taste of the dates and the contrasting texture really makes these brownies feel like (without being) a naughty treat!
I went for the Coconut and Almond Butter from Meridian Foods for this recipe. If you’re not a coconut fan, you could easily use normal almond butter instead.
I’ve also used 50g of flour in these (I went for spelt flour). This is purely because I’m not a massive fan of an overly oaty bake! You can easily substitute this for more oat flour, ground almonds or and flour of your choice!
Sweet Potato & Coconut Brownies
For the Brownies:
300g Sweet Potatoes (Cooked)
30g Chocolate Chips
30ml Almond Milk
4 Tbsp Maple Syrup
3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
1 Tbsp Coconut & Almond Butter
For the Date Caramel
– 100g Dates
– 1 Tbsp Coconut & Almond Butter
– 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
– 2 Tsp Almond Milk
– Tip the oats into the food processor and blitz until a flour is formed.
– Next add the flour, cocoa and sweet potato and blitz again.
– Add the maple syrup, nut butter, almond milk and the egg and blend until smooth.
– Stir in the chocolate chips and pour the mixture into a suitable size parchment lined baking tray
– Bake for around 40 minutes at 180C
– Remove and allow to cool on a wire cooling rack
– Soak the dates in hot water for 10 minutes.
– Drain and add to the food processor with the other ingredients and blitz until smooth. (You may need to keep scraping the mixture off the sides and back into the middle)
– Spread evenly on top of the brownies and pop in the fridge for an hour before cutting into squares.